2023 Jacksonville Jazz Festival Returns To Downtown This Memorial Day Weekend With A Star-Studded Lineup
The Jacksonville Jazz Festival returns to Downtown Jacksonville, May 25 – 28, 2023. The festival will feature free performances by several award-winning artists at two stages along the St. Johns River including Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, Chaka Khan, Charlie Wilson, Samara Joy, Eric Roberson with special guest Jeff Bradshaw, Larry Carlton and more!
“It has been a massive privilege as mayor to support the long-standing tradition of our annual Jacksonville Jazz Festival,” said Mayor Lenny Curry. “The Jazz Fest has grown into a premier event that brings in thousands of tourists and major artists from across the country. Jacksonville has a strong history rooted in Jazz culture and the arts, and this festival continues to highlight our excellence on the national stage.”
Kicking off the four-day music festival is the Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition presented by Keyboard Connection – The Piano Place at the Florida Theatre on Thursday, May 25. Five piano finalists will compete for cash prizes and the opportunity to perform at the festival on Sunday, May 28. Admission is free with no registration required.
The Jacksonville Jazz Festival weekend will continue May 26 – 28 featuring free performances at the Swingin’ Stage presented by Publix Super Markets at Riverfront Plaza and the Groovin’ Stage presented by the Jacksonville Aviation Authority at Ford on Bay behind the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront. Festival hours are Friday, May 26 and Saturday, May 27 from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. and Sunday, May 28 from 4 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Very limited Premium Experience packages are available for purchase.
More festivities include the Jazz Jam, Jazz Marketplace, and the Jazz Clinic presented by V101.5. Two Jazz Clinics will take place at the Jacksonville Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday, May 27 with the first one at 10 a.m. featuring The U.S. Army Jazz Ambassadors and the second at 1:00 p.m. featuring Reuben Rogers. Both Clinics are free to attend, but registration is required to attend.
This year’s commemorative poster was created by our very own Graphic Designer, Rachel Henley. Rachel grew up in Jacksonville as a 4th generation member of the press experiencing the Jacksonville Jazz Festival for the first time from the seat of her stroller. “All in all, it was an honor to create and work on this art piece, depicting the lushness of Jacksonville’s landscape and the overtaking of music that descends on our city during the week of Jazz Fest,” said Rachel Henley. Signed & numbered or unsigned posters are available for purchase.
Important operational information about this year’s Festival:
This year’s Jacksonville Jazz Festival is cashless. Guests may use all major debit and credit cards, mobile and tap to pay for onsite purchases. Cash payments will not be accepted.
Dedicated secured entry points will be at the following locations:
- Water St. at the corner of Hogan St.
- Independent Dr. next to the VyStar Building, east of Hogan St. and west of Laura St.
- Laura St. south of Bay St.
- Boat and Water Taxi dock at Riverfront Plaza
- Newnan St. at Independent Dr. next to the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront
- Between Newnan St. and Market St. along Bay St.
Road closures and restricted street access will begin on Monday, May 22nd and continue through Tuesday, May 30th.
- Monday, May 22nd 7:00 AM (to end Monday, May 29th 2:00 AM)
- Hogan St from Water St south to Riverfront, vehicle traffic North to E Bay St
- Tuesday, May 23rd 7:00 AM (to end Tuesday, May 30th 2:00 AM)
- Continue with all previous closures
- Independent Dr from Hogan St to Laura St
- Wednesday, May 24th No New Closures
- Thursday, May 25th 6:00 AM (to end Monday, May 29th 2:00 AM)
- Continue with all previous closures
- Close Hogan St south from Bay St with moving pass for festival setup & VyStar parking garage only
- Close Laura St from Bay St to Independent Dr with moving pass for festival setup & Wells Fargo parking garage only
- Full closure Independent Dr from Hogan St to Newnan St (to end Tuesday, May 30th 2:00 AM)
- Full closure Newnan St from Bay St to Independent Dr
- Full closure of the Newnan St northbound exit on Main St Bridge
- Friday, May 26th (to end Monday, May 29th 2:00 AM)
Street parking will begin to be suspended on May 21st at 6:00pm and will resume beginning May 29th unless otherwise specified.
- Sunday, May 21st Evening 6:00 PM
- Hogan St from Water St to the Riverfront (resume Tuesday, May 30th)
- Liberty St from Bay St to the Riverfront (resume Tuesday, May 30th)
- Monday, May 22nd Evening 6:00 PM
- Continue Hogan St from Water St to Bay St
- Independent Dr from Hogan to Main St Bridge
- Newnan St from Bay St to Independent Dr
- Market St from Bay St to Back of Hyatt Hotel (Courthouse Dr)
- Wednesday, May 24th Evening 6:00 PM
- Laura St from Independent Dr to Bay St
- Continue Newnan St to Riverfront
- Coastline Dr (in front of Hyatt Parking garage on Riverfront)
- Thursday, May 25th Evening 6:00 PM
- Bay St from Hogan St to Market St (only meters on southernmost lane)
Visit the Jacksonville Jazz Festival social media channels, @JacksonvilleJazzFestival on Facebook and @jaxjazzfest on Instagram and Twitter, and website jacksonvillejazzfest.com for more information and further updates.
Thank you to our sponsors and partners: Publix Super Markets, Jacksonville Aviation Authority, Keyboard Connection – The Piano Place, Florida Department of Health, Jessie Ball DuPont Fund, Sun Pass, T-Mobile, UF Health Jacksonville, Wounded Warrior Project, AARP, VyStar Credit Union, JEA, Jacksonville Transportation Authority, Florida Theatre, Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, Southbank Hotel Jacksonville Riverwalk, Marriott Jacksonville Downtown, Action News Jax, V101.5, Hot 99.5, and JME – Jacksonville Music Experience.
About the Jacksonville Jazz Festival
The Jacksonville Jazz Festival is a free, multi-day music festival produced by the City of Jacksonville Division of Sports and Entertainment. The festival welcomes residents and visitors to enjoy live music performances, food, drinks and activations throughout the weekend in Downtown Jacksonville along the St. Johns River. The Jacksonville Jazz Festival includes two stages of great music, Piano Competition, Jazz Marketplace, Jazz Clinic and more. For updates and information, please visit jacksonvillejazzfest.com.
About the City of Jacksonville Division of Sports and Entertainment
The City of Jacksonville Division of Sports and Entertainment attracts, hosts and creates opportunities that drive economic impact, accelerate the Jacksonville brand and improve the quality of life and cultural engagement for visitors and residents. Jacksonville hosts hundreds of diverse events each year making Northeast Florida a premier destination with rich tradition and world-class hospitality. For more information, visit events.coj.net.