The Jacksonville Jazz Festival Piano Competition presented by Keyboard Connection has been a Jacksonville tradition for more than 30 years. The competition is presented by the City of Jacksonville on May 23, 2019 at The Florida Theatre, where five finalists, chosen through “blind” judging in March, will compete for the honor of this award. The winner will receive a monetary prize and will perform at the Jacksonville Jazz Festival on Saturday, May 25, 2019.
- The Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition is open to any age acoustic jazz pianist who does not currently have or has not previously had a contract with a record label.
- Previous winners of the competition cannot apply. Previous finalists may apply. Finalists participating two consecutive years may not apply the third year.
- First Place Winner $3,500
- Second Place Winner $1,500
- Third Place Winner $750
In addition to the award, the competition winner will perform in the Jacksonville Jazz Festival on Saturday, May 25, 2019. Performance by the winner on this day is required, as the cash award will be provided at the conclusion of the performance.
Each finalist will receive four complimentary Jacksonville Jazz Festival passes for Friday, May 24 – Sunday, May 26, 2019.
- A completed application form, $40.00 entry fee, biography, and photo is required. Entries must be submitted by Friday, March 8, 2019, at 11:59pm EST. All entrants will be notified the week of March 18, 2019, of their status. In the event of a withdrawal, entry fee will not be returned.
- Competition applicants must ONLY submit mp3 files or SoundCloud links for no more than three songs.
- Please submit a clean, high-quality recording mp3 file or SoundCloud link in the registration form (judges will only listen to the audio). A poor recording and distracting background noise can overshadow an excellent performance and will result in immediate disqualification.
- Indicate the name and composer of each song on the registration form, including such genres as blues, ballad, and up-tempo/swing, etc.
- Make sure the form and melody are recognizable.
- Include at least one solo piece and two pieces with a rhythm section (acoustic, bass and drums only). No strings, horn sections, vocalists, etc.
- Indicate any special instructions on the application regarding playback.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of jazz and your ability to play it. Choose a medley of songs that illustrate your taste and talent. Each piece must be played by memory.
- Original pieces are acceptable. Recordings should not exceed 20 minutes in length.
- Please do not state your name on the recording. Any such recording will be disqualified without refund.
- Applicants may not edit an application once it has been submitted.