The Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition has been a Jacksonville tradition for the past 30 years. The competition is presented by the City of Jacksonville, Yamaha and Keyboard Connection Pianos & Organs on May 24, 2018 at The Florida Theatre, where five finalists, chosen through “blind” judging in March, will compete for the honor of this award. The winner will receive a monetary prize and will perform at the Jacksonville Jazz Festival on Saturday, May 26, 2018.
The Jacksonville Jazz Piano Competition is open to any age acoustic jazz pianist who does not currently have or has not previously had a contract with a record label.
Previous winners of the competition cannot apply. Previous finalists may apply. Finalists participating two consecutive years may not apply the third year.
- First Place Winner $3,500
- Second Place Winner $1,500
- Third Place Winner $750
In addition to the award, the competition winner will perform in the Jacksonville Jazz Festival on Saturday, May 26, 2018. Performance by the winner on this day is required, as the cash award will be provided at the conclusion of the performance.
Each finalist will receive four complimentary Jacksonville Jazz Festival passes for Friday, May 25 – Sunday, May 27, 2018.
- Please submit a clean, high-quality recording via link in the registration form (judges will only listen to the audio). A poor recording and distracting background noise can overshadow an excellent performance and will result in immediate disqualification.
- Indicate the name and composer of each song on the registration form, including such genres as blues, ballad, and up-tempo/swing, etc.
- Make sure the form and melody are recognizable.
- Include at least one solo piece and two pieces with a rhythm section (acoustic, bass and drums only). No strings, horn sections, vocalists, etc.
- Indicate any special instructions on the application regarding playback.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of jazz and your ability to play it. Choose a medley of songs that illustrate your taste and talent. Each piece must be played by memory.
- Original pieces are acceptable. Recordings should not exceed 20 minutes in length.
- Please do not state your name on the recording. Any such recording will be disqualified without refund.
- Applicants may not edit an application once it has been submitted.
Competition applicants must submit a link for no more than three songs, completed application form, $40.00 entry fee, biography, and photo online.
Entries must be submitted by Friday, March 9, 2018 at 11:59pm. All entrants will be notified the week of March 26, 2018 of their status. In the event of a withdrawal, entry fee will not be returned.